Friday, January 28, 2011

Good morning, sunshine!

It's really hard for me to wake up in the morning. I am one of those people who hit the snooze button over and over again until it gets completely ridiculous and I emerge from my bed, groggy and confused. It is for this reason, that I purchased this, which I'm sure will be SUPER FUN once it arrives.

Until then, I thought it would be inspiring if I were to wake up to something that reminded me of warmer climes, especially in the midst of this bitter winter where snow has become the norm and I live in a pair of oversized rainboots. I was in the market for anything that would make leaving the warmth of my comforter for the frigid atmosphere of my room slightly more palletable.

As always, Martha had just the thing. She had this awesome craft, crayon hearts, that she used as a Valentines-day themed project. Seeing as Valentines day is a few weeks away, and I was hoping for a more permanent solution to my morning woes, I decided to mix it up a bit and settled on a tropical theme.

The project itself was interesting. Essentially, I took waxed paper and shaved different colors of crayons onto it. This felt kind of ridiculous, but I went with it, seeing as Martha has never steered me wrong in the past. I folded the wax paper over itself with the crayon in between, as she had described. I then ironed the sections, which I made different colors, until the crayons melted.

Naturally, I did not follow her instruction of folding over the EDGES of the wax paper to prevent crayon from leaking out, and I got crayon all over everything, including the iron and ironing board. The crayon came off the iron with some hard scrubbing, but if anyone has any awesome tips for getting melted crayon out of fabric, I'm all ears.

The resulting wax paper sheets looked awesome! I drew tropical shapes on them and cut them out, tied them to string, and hung them from my window. I have to say, it was nice to wake up to some tropical imagery when the weather outside looks like this.

1 comment:

  1. I need those! My room has an interior window that faces an ugly gray courtyard.

    ReplyDelete