Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gaga for Martha

There's something a little fishy when Martha quotes Lady Gaga on her site. I guess the "you were born this way" message is truly a universal one if even the domestic goddess herself is catching the bug.

Martha's contributor, Robin Roffer, relates this message to the one espoused in her book, "The Fearless Fish Out of Water." In this, she interviewed successful professionals who, at times, felt like they were totally in the wrong proverbial pond.

I think there are some good messages in this article (which can be found at http://wholelivingdaily.wholeliving.com/2011/06/life-and-work-inspiration-from-lady-gaga.html). They are actually poignant for me as I struggle to finish up my med school secondaries (40 down!) Most importantly:

1. Use your differences as a way to attract people - well, this is a given. Half the essays I am writing are about diversity, which is hard when you're a white Jewish girl.

2. Find people that are different... just like you.

3. Cast a wide net (ackkk so many fishing puns!)

4. Practice the manta of "action, belief, courage"

I guess this all seems pretty obvious, but it's nice to have an affirmation to use now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment