Monday, December 12, 2011

Oops...

Okay, so I might have lied a bit. When I said I was "back", I meant I was kinda sorta back but really I am only going to post sporadically. But I am trying! In fact, I have done a ton of really cool arts and crafts since my not so short hiatus.

This first one may not truly be a Martha Stewart craft. As in, she wasn't the brains behind this operation. However, she was in the inspiration. I think that should count! Right?

Back in the day, Martha taught me how to craft with Fimo clay. After all, remember this?

This time, I opted to make another necklace. I was sick all weekend long and was itching for something new to craft. I scrounged around for things I had on hand and I found my stash of bakeable clay.

For ideas, I turned to the friend that has never let me down: google. I found an awesome site that had a bunch of great polymer clay ideas and settled on a necklace relegated to the beginners page.

I didn't have the exact colors shown in the picture, so I marbled together a dark brownish color with butter yellow and a color called "ocre" and one that looked like my skin color circa mid-winter. While I wasn't quite sure what "marbling" meant, I quick trip to my best friend Mr. G showed me it could be accomplished by rolling together and almost-mixing two different colors of clay. I used my craft macaroni machine to flatten together the colors until they looked awesome.

I made one end bead that was oblong shaped to use as a closure (see picture). Then, I took the flattened clay and punched it into circles. For this, I used a cap from a travel bottle I had lying around. I cut a smaller circle into the middle of the larger ones with a pen cap. I poked holes on either side of each bead and then baked away (230 degrees for 30 minutes).

I used the jump rings I had lying around (slightly too small, I had two use two for each bead) to attach the beads together through the holes I made on either side.

Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Try it yourself with instructions here: http://www.sculpey.com/projects/mega-links-bib-necklace. Thanks, sculpey!

No comments:

Post a Comment