Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

Despite the fact that I don't follow professional football during the regular season, I love the Superbowl. There is something quintessentially American about gorging oneself with massive amounts of fried food and watching grown men jumping on top of each other.

This Superbowl Sunday, I decided to take a slightly healthier route ala Martha. I'll be blogging about what I made for the next few days, as I made three different delicious, quasi-healthy game day foods.

First, I thought no American football extravaganza could be complete with the ultimate American comfort food: french (freedom?) fries. Martha had a simple recipe for some homemade potatoes that hit the spot perfectly.

I bought four russet potatoes and cut them into manageable chunks. Thankfully, I had some thyme left over from last week's beet recipe adventure, and I baked the potato chunks with olive oil and thyme sprigs for around 35 minutes in the oven.

The resulting french fries were a fabulous, healthy alternative to the McDonald's fries I would have otherwise consumed. I served them (to my roommates) with mayonnaise, ketchup, and honey mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment