Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oatmeal for your face

My only memories of using oatmeal as a skin product are traumatizing and involve one horrible case of the chicken pox, my best friend who I infected and a communal oatmeal bath that might have soothed a little, but still left me feeling itchy.

Thankfully, those days are in the past. Now, oatmeal is my daily breakfast (the instant kind, of course), but I haven't found a medicinal purpose for it in years.

Martha is bringing it back, however. In her section on "Crazy Beauty Tricks That Really Work," she touts the powers of oatmeal: soothing, anti-inflammatory, rich in beta glucan a "soluble fiber that creates a tin, moisture-retaining film on the surface of the skin."

I decided to give it a try. She recommended that I place whole oats in a washcloth, secure with a rubber band and wet with warm water. Then, I took the warm water, now cloudy and splashed it on my face. I air-dried, per her instructions.

I might not have the chicken pox, but this definitely left me feeling moisturized and calmed from the stress of the day. Plus, now I smell like breakfast!

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Crazy Beauty Tricks That Really Work

No comments:

Post a Comment