Sunday, July 10, 2011

Work is a pain in the...

After a lovely trip to my friend's cabin in Vermont last weekend, I have been left pretty sore from the long car ride. In particular, I have some pretty annoying leg cramps that are partiuclarly painful.

I found a Martha article that offered some words of advice: "Wipe Out Office Aches and Pains". I turned to the stretch meant for legs, figuring it would work on some pains caused by sitting for a long while.

I sat on a chair in my apartment and brought each knee in succession up to my chest and held for 15 seconds or so. When I released, I definitely felt some tension fading away in my legs, a welcome reprieve from the tightness. I'll have to try this while I'm working as well!

Instructions:

LegsMore than any other part of the body, the legs are built primarily for movement. Sitting and keeping them still all day impedes their function, according to Orr, restricting circulation to the lower extremities and causing your hip, knee, and ankle joints to become stiff and inflexible.

Solution: Knee into chestWhat it does: Stretches the hamstrings, hips, and lower back.
How to do it: Sit tall at the edge of your chair with legs in line with your hips. Interlace your fingers behind your right thigh, and bring your right knee into your chest; hold it there. Keep your spine tall as you inhale for a count of five, then exhale for a count of five. Take five breaths. Switch sides and repeat.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Wipe Out Office Aches and Pains

No comments:

Post a Comment