Thursday, July 14, 2011

Peanut butter + brownies

So mine don't look anything like this. 


These are two of my favorite things. How could you go wrong with them? Today, I answered that: by using Splenda! And not enough of it.

I chose Martha's Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. They looked delicious, and I have had such success with sugar substitutes and wheat flour. I made the following substitutions:


FOR THE BATTER
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for pan - substituted vegetable margarine
  • 2 ounces good-quality unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped - substituted cocoa powder
  • 4 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped - same
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour - substituted Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder - substituted creme of tarter and baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar - substituted Splenda
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted - substituted vegetable margarine
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar - substituted Splenda
  • 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
So, these were NOT good. They were essentially flavorless - I blame the Splenda. I used slightly less because usually it's a bit sweeter, but I guess not in this case.

This has inspired me to retry, maybe with the real deal this time. They had so much promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment