Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eggplant "Bolognese"

I bought oregano today. Yes, it was dried oregano and yes, that is not a big deal to 90% of Americans my age, but for me this was a first. I also bought parsley, scallions, and dill. I have never felt so fancy in a grocery store, especially because my typically purchases include frozen dinners, bottles of tomato sauce, and various off-brand cereals (Marshmallow Dreams are my particular favorite).

Today's offering is Martha's Eggplant Bolognese sans the bolognese. By this I mean that I omitted the beef as I currently don't have a kosher kitchen and will not be cooking meat. The sauce recipe calls for an entire eggplant (I used half because I already had half cut in my fridge), 1 medium onion, 1 green bell pepper, 1 zucchini (I bought something called "green squash" that I assumed was zucchini, but this may or may not be the case - more on this pressing issue to follow), garlic, oregano, and crushed tomatoes.

I cooked the sauce and added it to an entire pound of pasta - which of course is way too much for one person - so I fed my roommate (you're welcome, Mike!) and have leftovers for tomorrow... and the next day. The whole thing took less than an hour, which in my book is not bad for dinner, especially because I'm a novice.

I have to say the result wasn't half bad for a first attempt and I only burned myself once, on the knuckle, and yes, it hurts like Hell. I have learned my lesson about flying hot oil. What amazed me the most was what "real" tomato sauce tastes like... tomato sauce that doesn't come out of a can. It's so... tomato-y.

So here's what mine looked like:................................And Martha's:

I really need a professional photographer and a food stylist...

No comments:

Post a Comment