Friday, January 21, 2011

Infinity scarf: 1, Me: 0

There is something about this weather than makes me want to wrap myself from head to toe in knits. Maybe that its because it's 30 degrees and snowing or because it's constantly gloomy but knitting has become extremely therapeutic for me.

A particular obsession of mine has become the infinity scarf. Half necklace, half winter accessory there is nothing better in the entire world then a soft and fuzzy infinity scarf. There is something so cuddly and warm about a giant tube of fabric that you can wrap a bunch of times around your neck. Plus... they look kind of cool.

Thankfully, Martha has a recipe for a knit cowl (pictured right) that translated well into a infinity scarf with some modifications. Instead of casting on 44 stitches, I cast on 124 and knitted out from there. The result was a much skinnier but longer scarf.

As it turns out, infinity scarves are not super easy to make. Because they are circular, they require knitting in the round which I had never tried until today. It looked so easy! You just knit with circular needles, which are essentially needles that are attached together at the ends with a skinny piece of rubbery plastic. I thought it would be just like knitting with normal needles. And it is... with one exception: you have to be extremely careful of twisting the part that you have knitting and accidentally knitting in the wrong direction (note: this is hard to explain if you are not familiar with knitting).

Every tutorial I saw and read emphasized this. Don't twist it. Don't twist it. And guess what... I twisted it. I don't know how, but the resulting scarf, while it is cuddly and warm, is definitely twisted and cannot be untwisted. It has a sad, slightly folded-in look that I am sure will bother me to no end even though I will definitely be wearing this in the coming months.


You may have won this battle, infinity scarf, but I'll see you in the next round! I vow to knit a perfect infinity by the time this little experiment is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment