Monday, January 17, 2011

A New Year

A new year, a new project.

Martha Stewart is my guru. I am not afraid to admit it. She has been everything and anything: cigarette model, stock broker, mother, best-selling author, TV-goddess, jailbird, and CEO. And she has done it all not by denying her femininity, but by embracing it. The root of her success lies in the embrace of the craft, of the DIY, and of the recipe. She makes candles out of paper towel rolls, jewelry out of Styrofoam, and fortune cookies out of felt. Her recipes are accessible, even to a cooking-challenged person like myself. Perhaps not accessible enough, but that remains to be seen.

Channeling Martha was born out of an admiration and a new years resolution. While millions of Americans join gyms come January, my goal for 2011 is a bit different. Although I should probably hit the treadmill a bit more often, I instead vow to harness my creativity in this new year. As a Visual Studies major who now works at a state hospital and is applying to medical school, I am starved for anything and everything that will provide me with an artistic outlet. And who better to guide me in this artistic journey then the queen of craft, Martha Stewart?

Now that I'm done gushing, it's time for the nitty-gritty. The premise is simple: I will complete one Martha Stewart craft, recipe, or if I'm particularly desperate tip per day for the next 365 days. I am bound to miss a few here or there, but the goal remains. This should be quite the adventure, and it begins tomorrow. Until then, remember, "it's a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment