Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Red fish, blue fish, salmon fish

I have been dying to use the dill in my fridge, both because I'm terrified it will go bad and I will have wasted some money, and because I was extremely curious. I have had dill before, but actually cooking and garnishing it was definitely something novel for me.

I decided to cook some salmon. I have had to learn to like fish a lot more after I started keeping kosher, because it became one of the few options I had access to on a consistent basis. Martha had a delicious recipe for seared salmon with mustard caper butter which I decided to try.

I bought fresh salmon and froze it last week in preparation for future cooking ideas. This turned out to be kind of a bad idea. I tried to defrost it, but I was unable to strike a good balance between defrosted and cooked, so I erred up on the side of frozen. I then cooked the salmon in a skillet with olive oil, but I don't think I cooked it properly, because it cooked on the outside, but the inside was still not too hot. I ended up heating it up in the microwave.

The sauce was easily to make - I added butter, lemon (I used lemon juice, not zest because I like the taste and don't have a zester), dijon mustard and yes, dill! I omitted the capers because I just wasn't in the mood. I also sliced up some lemon as a garnish - although this ended up being a bit ridiculous because I was the only one who ate or saw it.

The result was a delicious, filling, healthy dinner that was quick to make and satisfying. I wish I had been able to grill the salmon a bit more, but I didn't get food poisoning so if it was a bit undercooked I didn't have any severe consequences for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment