Monday, January 24, 2011

Oatmeal and Almond Deliciousness

I am not a huge oatmeal fan. As I child I would take the instant packets and add a tiny amount of water to them until it made a thick paste and scarf it down with a 1:1 ratio of oatmeal to brown sugar. Now, I eat oatmeal because it's a healthy breakfast as compared to the sugary pastries I am always tempted to scarf down as a work in the morning.

Despite my reservations, Martha's Oatmeal-Almond Crisps looked too good to pass up... plus they seemed really simple to make. I mixed brown sugar (after all, how can you have oatmeal without brown sugar?), butter, an egg, and (imitation) vanilla extract together and then added in plenty of rolled oats and sliced almonds.

I also added a bonus ingredient: wheat bran. I have been on this fiber kick lately because I have high cholesterol (ridiculous for a skinny 22-year-old, but probably due to my over-consumption of In'n'Out when I'm home in LA) and it's supposed to reduce cholesterol and just be all around healthy for your digestion. One serving of wheat bran has 24% of one's daily value of fiber, good step towards getting healthy.

The fiber-loaded oatmeal crisps, baked in the oven, were fantastic and enjoyed by my entire apartment. Most of them were mysteriously gone in a matter of a few hours.... The few that are left will make an incredible breakfast for me tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment