Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

When I was young (I feel like many of my posts start this way, but that's life) one of my favorite books was entitled, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. The title pretty much describes the premise, but it was essentially about this poor kid who suffered through the worst day ever. It begins as follows: "I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."

Yesterday was just one of those days. Although I didn't wake up with gum in my hair, essentially everything that could go wrong, did. Thankfully, as an adult who is finally 21+, I now have a not-so-terrible way of dealing with days like this. And by that I mean I have alcohol.

My mom and I are huge fans of a good lemon drop now and again and thankfully Martha had a super easy, fast recipe that was essentially just lemon juice, sugar and, of course, vodka. Even though most of the sugar stayed undissolved at the bottom and I had to drink out of a wine glass not a martini glass, the lemon drop definitely did the trick!

I hope I never have a day like yesterday again, but it's nice to know that when I do I'll always have a good lemon drop to pick me up at the end of the day. And that, my friends, is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment