Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sick day... again

It probably is not shocking to anyone that I am still sick. As much as I wish this was a 24-hour bug, it appears that this cold is here to stay. And, with the added bonus that every time I get up I immediately want to faint, this cold is a doozy.

Naturally, I was in the mood for some soup. While most people crave chicken noodle when they're sick, I always go for a good tomato soup. I love tomatoes and can seriously eat them any time, any day. Tomato soup is a particular favorite of mine whether I'm sick or well... especially with tons of cheese.

I decided on Martha's classic tomato soup; I definitely don't have too much experience making soup (read: no experience), so I thought that something with the word "classic" in front of it would be on the easier side. This lack of soup chops, plus my current fainting issue, meant something simple was the order of the day.

And simple, it was. I melted some butter in a pot and added olive oil and half an onion. Once the onion was transparent (yum! I love myself some sauteed onions), I added flour and tomato paste. Then I added some vegetable broth (the recipe called for chicken broth, but I substituted vegetable), canned whole tomatoes, and thyme. It was really therapeutic to squeeze the tomatoes until they popped - a perfect way to let out some energy - and, called for in the recipe. I don't have a blender, as the recipe called for, so the soup was on the chunkier side. Thankfully, this is just how I like it!

But no tomato soup, in my opinion, is complete without cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Thankfully, I had some ricotta and mozzarella on hand, and once the soup had cooked for 30 minutes, I added my fair share of both.

The highlight of my day was definitely sitting in bed, eating some homemade tomato soup. It definitely did the trick! Warm, filling, and delicious....

No comments:

Post a Comment