Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sick day

My immune system officially hates me. Especially now that I work in a hospital, I get every cold, flu, cough, etc. that comes by. My current ailment is some sort of fire in my esophagus that seems to be radiating into my lungs. This is not made better by movement or activity of any kind. 

What would Martha do? Thankfully she has a list of Secret Kitchen Cures, including something for a sore throat. As she suggested, I took a spoon, filled it halfway up with honey and then topped it off with lemon. I then sprinkled (or dumped) cayenne red pepper on top.

According to Martha's health guru, Dr. Elson Haas, the honey is supposed to soothe and disinfect the throat and the lemon is used to contract inflamed tissue and contribute vitamin C. The cayenne provides the added bonus of "stimulating circulation and encouraging healing".

I sucked the honey, lemon and cayenne mix off the spoon and while it was super spicy, I didn't hate it too much. Most throat cures taste absolutely horrible, but this one wasn't too bad. 

So far, my throat feels much better. I'll definitely be using this trick throughout my horrible cold... which I hope will not last too long!

No comments:

Post a Comment