Monday, January 31, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

...make lemon cookies!

There are moments in life where chocolate just wont do. Although these moments are definitely few and far between, it is in these cases where a nice lemon dessert just completely hits the spot. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood for something super sweet and a nice tart taste is just what the doctor ordered.

I was having one of my rare lemon cravings today and as always, Martha came through in a big way... in the form of lemon glazed cookies. They looked just too good to pass up.

Of course, I still don't have a mixer, which makes baking slightly trickier. That will have to be my next purchase, because it really isn't much fun hand-mixing cold butter with other ingredients. That, and a zester. Instead of a simple zesting process, I ended up having to peel lemons with a knife and cut up the peels into small pieces, which, I hoped, roughly resembled zest.

Aside from this slight stumbling-block, the remainder of the recipe was simple enough. I mixed the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest) in one bowl, and stirred the wet-ish ingredients (butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and lemon juice) in another. I then combined the two together and baked the mixture.

The glaze was nothing more than lemon zest, lemon juice, and powdered sugar mixed together. Simple enough... minus the fact that I had to zest the lemon the hard way.

The resulting cookies totally hit the spot. I have plenty of leftovers too, which I plan to keep around for a rainy day... or another lemon craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment