Monday, February 14, 2011

Cracker craving... solved!

Happy Valentines Day! In honor of today, I decided to make something heart healthy, instead of something sugary and delicious... it's a sacrifice (I guess) I'm willing to make. After all, the heart is the organ of love!

It's been less than a week since I began this pre-diabetic diet and I already miss crackers more than anything. I just love munching on crunchy, salty things throughout the day and without them I find myself with the overwhelming feeling that something is missing. I have nothing to do with my mouth! Nothing to munch on to distract myself from the stresses of the day!

Martha, as per usual, came to the rescue. On her website, tucked in the Whole Living section, I found a perfect list of healthy, salty snacks that promise to fit the bill. Number one on the list: Flaxseen-and-Onion-Crackers. I decided to give it a go.

As luck would have it, I had just obtained bags of flaxseed and flaxseed meal, which were both listed on my list of approved foods and ingredients. Flaxseed is a completely awesome power food that is rich in super-healthy omega-3s. They are also loaded with fiber and magnesium, two supplements that are important for anyone, diabetic or not.
The one stumbling block of the recipe was the flour, a major no-no for someone who isn't supposed to have carbohydrates. But thankfully, I was prepared; I was armed with wheat flour. The one thing about wheat flour is that it absorbs more moisture than white flour, so I just added in a bit more skim milk to make the mixture doughy-er.

The crackers, while not as deliciously unhealthy as processed white flour crackers, are pretty good and definitely edible. The onion and parsley gives the crackers a more interesting flavor, and offset the blandness of the wheat flour and flax meal.
I am planning on having these for lunch today with sardines, another approved food. I'm looking forward to it... Martha (and my mom!) would be so proud!

RECIPE (courtesy of Martha Stewart at marthastewart.com)

Ingredients
(Makes about 5 dozen)
1/4 cup whole golden flaxseed, plus 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed (from about 2 tablespoons whole)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting - NOTE: I used whole wheat flour, and added a bit more milk to make up for this change
1/2 teaspoon baking powder - NOTE: I used a combo of baking soda and creme of tartar instead
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning (optional)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely grated onion
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup skim milk
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
Freshly ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees with racks in upper and lower thirds. Put whole and ground flaxseed, flour, baking powder, salt, and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 2 minutes. Stir in onion and parsley. With mixer on low speed, pour in milk. Mix until dough just comes together (do not over-mix).

Divide dough in half. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to a 9-inch square (1/8 inch thick).Transfer to two baking sheets. Cut each square with a fluted pastry wheel or a knife into about 30 crackers (each 1 1/2 inches square).

Brush with egg white; season with pepper, and salt, if desired. Bake until slightly firm, about 20 minutes. Switch positions of sheets; flip crackers. Bake until light brown and firm, 18 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment