Thursday, February 24, 2011

Meatballs, kosher style

I have been craving meat like CRAZY lately. Keeping kosher means that my meat options are usually extremely limited. This means that I am essentially a vegetarian 90% of the time, which for someone who loves meat, kind of sucks.

Thankfully, I happened to have some kosher ground turkey meat on hand in the freezer to satisfy my craving. I decided that the best thing to do with said turkey was to make some meatballs! Because who doesn't love meatballs.

Naturally, Martha has an entire section of website devoted to meatball recipes. I decided on the Meatball Hero recipe, minus the hero part, because that requires bread and I'm pretty much off bread now.

I made the vegetables according to the instructions - cut up peppers, onion and zucchini and baked them in the oven with olive oil and oregano.

While this baked, I whipped up some turkey meatballs. For this aspect, I employed my own creativity. I took the ground turkey, added in a dash of egg white and oregano, and finished it off with flax seeds and whole wheat flour. I formed this mix into balls and placed these with the vegetables into the oven to cook for a bit.

Simple, but great, healthy comfort food for a random weekday. And there was plenty left over for lunches this week!

Recipe

Serves 2
  • 1 onion, halved and sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
  • 1 zucchini, halved crosswise then lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Coarse salt
  • 10 Mini Meatballs
  • 2 hero rolls, split
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss onion, bell pepper, and zucchini with oil and oregano. Bake 15 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle vegetables with vinegar, and season with salt; toss to coat. Push vegetables to one side of pan; place meatballs on other end.
  3. Bake until meatballs are cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Serve in rolls.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Meatball Hero - Martha Stewart Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment