Thursday, February 3, 2011

Where your gloves at?

I am still unaccustomed to the time-honored east coast tradition of putting on gloves or mittens when one leaves the house in the winter. Perhaps tradition is the wrong word for it. Suffice to say, that I rarely remember to put mittens or gloves on in the morning, if I even own a pair in the first place. A few of my friends immortalized this east versus west glove conundrum with a song lovingly entitled "Gloves." The resulting music video, at the link, it definitely worth a watch.

In honor of the blizzaster that has been striking the not-so-fair east coast this winter, I decided to attempt to knit some fingerless mittens, anticipating that I might wear them in the coming months. One of Martha's staff members had just the recipe, in the form of an easy knitting pattern on Martha's craft blog. I chose fingerless gloves because I have a touch screen blackberry, and I get endlessly annoyed when I can't press the buttons because it doesn't recognize my fingers through fabric.... oh, the problems of contemporary society!

The knitting pattern essentially called for me to knit a long strip, like a scarf, and then cast off. The blogger used a simple knit pattern, but I did one row knit, one row purl, so I could create a slightly different effect. I also used much larger needles (sized 10), so that it would have a chunkier feel to it. I then just folded longways and sewed up the side, creating a tube. I put a safety pin where my thumb would stick out, and made sure not to sew over this part. I folded down the top of the glove before I did this, so that the part of the glove on my hand would be warmer. Then flipped it inside out and voila!

I was able to knit these in record time, and, in my opinion they look pretty awesome (I apologize for the awkward pictures!). I made them nice and long, figuring that they might keep me even warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment