Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Quesado-it

For the last of my Superbowl creations, I decided on a (gasp!) healthier option, particularly because I knew I was getting my cholesterol checked this week and I am scared of "failing".... again. Martha would be so proud.

There is nothing healthier than loads of spinach and mushrooms and onions. I am not a huge cooked spinach fan. I pretty much only like it when I can't taste it and when I can pretend it's not there. I know, I know, it's good for me. But why does it have to taste and look like mush?

Solution: quesadillas loaded with spinach and mushrooms. The best part of this set up is that I could trick myself into eating spinach. I didn't have to look at it, taste it, or think about it... out of site out of mind.

And the results tasted delicious! I substituted pepper Jack cheese for a Mexican low fat cheese mix because the former just isn't my favorite. I served the quesadillas, along with my french and sweet potato fries, with hot salsa. My roommate provided some low fat lime tortilla chips to top it all off.

In the end, I believe my healthier Superbowl was a success. Despite Christina's National Anthem faux pas and a less than stellar Black Eyed Peas halftime performance, this Superbowl Sunday was fabulous. Can't wait for it to come around again...


No comments:

Post a Comment