Friday, February 11, 2011

Pre-Diabeat this

I got some blood work done last week and got some surprising news... I'm pre-diabetic. Naturally, I jumped right past the "pre" to the "diabetic" and had a minor freak out which has lasted me until today. Essentially, having pre-diabetes means that I am on my way to diabetes, but that with proper nutrition and exercise, I can stop the progression.

"Proper nutrition" means only healthy carbohydrates, no flour and minimal amounts of bread or any kind of leavened substance. The good thing about having this blog is that I can adapt Martha's recipes to met my new dietary needs, which I'm sure will be a new challenge and adventure; I can't wait to try baking with wheat flour and egg substitutes.

For day 1 of my new diet, I decided brown rice would be a fantastic, healthy option and a great substitute for the white carbs I am used to eating. And, as luck would have it, my awesome grandmother just sent me a rice cooker!

Martha had a fantastic recipe for brown-rice salad with spinach and tomatoes that seemed like it would meet all of my dietary rules. I cooked up some brown rice and in my brand new rice cooker. I let it cool for a bit, and then mixed the rice with garlic, cucumber, spinach and cherry tomatoes. I topped it off with olive oil and vinegar (I used balsamic instead of red wine).

I am truly surprised at how much I enjoyed this! It was filling, and the garlic added some interesting flavor. Plus, once the rice was made, preparation was a sinch.

RECIPE: (courtesy of Martha Stewart from marthastewart.com)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 cups cooked brown rice
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved 
DIRECTIONS:
 
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, dill, garlic, and sugar. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add rice, cucumber, spinach, and tomatoes; toss to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment