Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oatmeal "cookies"

I have been totally craving something sweet. As those who know me are definitely aware, I have a major sweet tooth and pretty much adore dessert. This has been difficult given that I can't really have sugar or carbs anymore. I am literally at the point where I am stuck chewing sugarless gum, chugging Diet Coke, or brushing my teeth if I want a sweet taste. This is unacceptable.

So today I took on a challenge: attempt to bake healthy cookies that are pre-diabetic approved. As it turns out this is easier said than done.

I decided on Oatmeal Cookies as the perfect antidote to my case of the sugar blahs. Of course, I had to make some intense substitutions to Martha's recipe.

Based on some extensive internet research and some logic, I made the following substitutions to the recipe:

  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour - substituted whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour - substituted whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ - substituted whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder - substituted creme of tartar and baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened - substituted margarine
  • 1 cup granulated sugar - substituted Splenda
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar - substituted sugarless maple syrup
  • 2 large eggs - substituted 1 cup of Sprite Zero
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups raisins - omitted, I can't have dry fruit anymore
Once I mixed all the ingredients and baked the cookies, I was ready for a taste test. The resulting oatmeal balls did not taste like cookies, but were definitely part way there. They were a bit doughy, no doubt due to the use of wheat flour instead of white flour, which is much more water absorbent. In addition, they weren't nearly as sweet as most cookies, perhaps because I substited sugarless maple syrup for brown sugar. 

This is definitely a work in progress, but I won't give up! Next time, I'll have to figure out how to make the cookies less doughy and a bit sweeter. Until then, I'll definitely be enjoying these "cookies".

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture; mix until just combined. Mix in raisins.
  2. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
  3. Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - Martha Stewart Recipes

1 comment: