Monday, June 13, 2011

It's RHUBARB season!

Who knew rhubarb could taste so good? Who even knew what rhubarb was? Not I.

I have had rhubarb before, in the form of a rhubarb-berry pie over Thanksgiving. I remember this pie being good, but who knew if it was the berries or the rhubarb talking?

Today, I made my first foray into the world of rhubarb. I decided to start safe - with a familiar rhubarb-berry combination. Martha's Rhubarb-Berry Crumble with Martha's Crumble Topping looked unbelievable. Instead of making a bunch of them, I made a single one because I only had one ceramic bowl.

And, it was. It truly was UNBELIEVABLE! I think one of the best things I have made since I started this process. I baked it perfectly if I do say so myself. It was just sweet enough, just filling enough and just fruity enough. The rhubarb texture was perfect - soft and textured. The topping was decadent.

Of course, the strawberries I used could have been the main attraction, so later this week I'll be cooking with rhubarb for real... without the benefit of any supporting players. I'm thinking a salad with raw rhubarb?

Recipe (Martha Stewart is a genius):

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices, leaves discarded
  • 2 cups raspberries or sliced strawberries, or a combination (I used strawberries)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest plus 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • Pinch of salt
  • Crumble Topping Crumble Topping
  • Vanilla yogurt for serving (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together rhubarb, berries, sugar, tapioca, orange zest, orange juice, and salt in a bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Divide rhubarb mixture among 6 small ceramic baking dishes (1 cup capacity and 5 1/2 inches in diameter). Transfer baking dishes to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with topping, dividing evenly.
  3. Bake until topping turns golden and juices are bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack 30 minutes. Serve with yogurt, if desired.

Crumble: 


Ingredients

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • Pinch of salt
Directions

Put butter and brown sugar, and orange zest if desired, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until creamy. Stir in flour and salt. Work mixture through fingers until it form.

No comments:

Post a Comment