Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mosquito Hell

I love summer. But I don't love everything that comes with it. One of the worst parts of this warm, humid weather is the massive amount of mosquitoes that absolutely love to bite me.

As I don't have an AC at this moment, I am stuck leaving the window open to cool down. Of course, this means that any and all mosquitoes in the vicinity manage to find their way into my room. Once in my room, they zoom right in on me.

After this weekend, I now have no less than 20 bites all over my legs. This is extremely uncomfortable. I have tried cortisone cream, which does provide some relief. I also cover them with scotch tape, which is supposed to leach out the bad stuff and prevent some of the itchiness.

Today, I tried Martha's solution: a mix of baking soda and water. And it wasn't half bad! Baking soda really made the bumps feel better after a few minutes. This is no surprise because I have come to realize that baking soda can do virtually anything. There is very little baking soda can't do!

From marthastewart.com:

Natural Bite and Sting Remedies

Summer should be a time of fun in the sun -- not accidents, injury, and illness. Use these tips and easy home remedies to ward off common health hazards.

Natural remedies like clay, baking soda, lavender oil, plantain, and tobacco contain properties that fight against pesky summer insects. To treat bee stings and mosquito bites, apply a paste made from baking soda and water to neutralize the bug's venom. Take five pellets of homeopathic apis (at 30C strength) three times daily until the itchiness subsides. And a drop of lavender essential oil applied to the bite can take out the itch and sting.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Health & Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment