Thursday, June 16, 2011

Quinoa'ed

Now that my allergies have turned into an awful sinus infection, I am less sleepy and more headache-y. This means that I can now write on my blog again because I am not having hallucinations of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow stroking my hair and sitting at the edge of my bed (true story, this happen circa 5am this morning).

Either way, I am going to make this short and sweet because I feel like crap.

I made some quinoa salad. And, in true Alex fashion I really badly over broiled (who knew this could happen) the mushrooms. So it tasted HORRIBLE. Little known fact: DO NOT overcook porcini mushrooms because if you do they taste like rot.

I'm sure it would have been delicious otherwise...

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 pounds fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps halved
  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa
  • 1 pound baby spinach
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

Directions

  1. Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  2. On a large rimmed broiler-proof baking sheet, toss mushrooms with half the dressing (reserve the rest); broil, tossing occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine quinoa, 3 cups water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Place spinach in a large bowl; add hot mushrooms, quinoa, and reserved dressing. Toss to combine (spinach will wilt slightly). Top with crumbled feta, and serve immediately.
Cook's Note

Do not soak shiitakes in water because they will become spongy. Instead, wipe the caps clean with a damp paper towel after trimming away the stems.

No comments:

Post a Comment