Sunday, May 22, 2011

Flower press

I remember pressing flowers when I was a child. It was something I liked to do post-hike. I know it's wrong to pick flowers, but sometimes I just couldn't help it - they looked so pretty flattened.

This time around, I decided to use a gerber daisy that I received from a friend at work who went crazy for mother's day and gave everyone in the office a flower.

After pressing it under a pile of magazines for 10 days, I ended up with this preserved version. I like how the color turned out and I think the texture is great!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with this...

Tips for Pressing Flowers (from http://www.marthastewart.com/265653/pressing-flowers-and-leaves):

Pressing Flowers How-To
  • Gather clean specimens that are free of blemishes and spots.
  • Collect flowers on sunny days when they are not wet from rain or dew.
  • Never gather species that are protected or endangered; if in doubt, check local regulations.
  • Snip stems close to the base, or leave flowers on stems; place the flowers facedown in a telephone book.
  • Close and weight the book, and leave undisturbed for a week to 10 days.
  • Open the book slowly, and you'll find papery pressed flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment