Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mildew-licious

I may be thousands of miles away from my New York apartment, but I am still having nightmares about my shower curtain.

Okay, I know that sounds odd. It's just so hard to shower every day looking at the tiny and then humongous mildew pieces lingering on the shower curtain next to me. It seems like I can't go five days in between scrubbing off the plastic before more mildew springs back, as though it had never left.

Martha offers her own solution to an issue that I have to imagine plagues almost everyone with a shower curtain. I have to admit, the below article isn't specific to shower curtains, but it certainly gives some food for thought... and some ideas for disgusting mildew prevention.


From Martha Stewart:

10 Clever Cleaning Tricks
Preventing Mildew

When it comes to mildew, prevention gives you the upper hand. So be sure to keep surfaces clean, improve air circulation, and reduce dampness (for example, don't bunch wet towels). In poorly ventilated basements, install open shelving, use a dehumidifier and fan, and store items in airtight plastic containers with desiccants (such as silica gel). In musty closets, leave an incandescent lightbulb on to dry the air, or hang packets of desiccants.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Spring-Cleaning Tips – Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment