Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope everyone had a fantastic day with their mothers! I am very lucky to have a wonderful mother who has supported me through 22 (soon-to-be 23) years of life, through thick and thin.

As I am currently in New York, I will be celebrating with my family next weekend when I finally get to visit home in Los Angeles again.

Until then, I'm focusing on stress relief. Going home has always been a huge stress reliever for me, but to tide me over, there are a few things I'm going to try.

For today, I picked one of Martha's excellent suggestions: take just 30 seconds to stretch out and collect yourself when things are getting tense. Mid-a boring read about evolution (which is usually very interesting, but which my textbook makes painful uninteresting), the crick in my neck got unbearable. So I took just a few seconds to stretch it, and the rest of my body. I did some meditative breathing exercises and some child's pose too.

It only took a bit, and I felt instantly better. Taking a few seconds, or minutes, to refocus does wonders for snapping me out of discomfort. Of course, this isn't a perfect remedy, but it's a little thing that made endless reading just a little bit easier.

I am going to have to use this for my final in a few weeks.

More information (from Martha Stewart):

Quick Fixes for Everyday Disasters


Save the Day

The phone is ringing, you've just received an annoying email from a coworker, and there's a big meeting in 10 minutes.
Here in the real world, you've got two choices: Ignore the crick in your neck, wash your panic down with coffee and a pastry, and forge ahead, hoping the sugar crash doesn't come too quickly. Or, take 30 seconds to stretch tight muscles, try a stress-busting breathing exercise, or quiet your thoughts with a quick meditation technique.
Based on yoga, traditional Chinese medicine, and herbalism, the following strategies -- adapted from "The Anywhere, Anytime Chill Guide" by Kate Hanley -- can empower you to get calmer, more resilient, and happier in the midst of even the most chaotic day.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Step 3: Learn to Cope

No comments:

Post a Comment