Monday, March 14, 2011

Dressing up

As a frequent pre-diabetic necessitated salad eater, I am constantly on the lookout for new salad dressings that will make what has become ordinary just a little bit extraordinary.

I found a great option that not only tasted fabulous, but was a great way to use up some of those chives I have been trying to get rid of. Martha's Chive Vinaigrette was just what the doctor ordered.


And it was super simple. I just mixed in some chopped chives, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar water and Splenda, which I substituted for the honey the recipe called for. Once I mixed these together, I combined in some olive oil, gradually mixing so that the dressing combined correctly.


I decided to serve the dressing with my favorite salad staple: quinoa. I love quinoa because it makes a normal salad much more filling, enough for a large lunch that will tide me over for my long days from work to school. I added in carrots, grape tomatoes and cucumber to top it off.

The result was just the salad revamp I was craving. Easy enough to pack for work the next day, but different enough to keep me just a little bit on my toes.

Recipe (from marthastewart.com):


Ingredients
 Makes 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 cup minced chives
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the oil.
  2. Slowly add the oil, whisking vigorously, until the vinaigrette is emulsified. The vinaigrette will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Read more at Wholeliving.com: Chive Vinaigrette

No comments:

Post a Comment