Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A simple leather belt

I am a huge fan of homemade fashion accessories. If I can make it, I will... Or at least attempt.

For my latest fashion foray I decided to attempt to make a super simple belt that I found on Martha's website (where else?). I knew that with leather it was best to start simple, because simple is cheap and leather is pricey. That, coupled with the fact that my parents are in town, meant that I needed something easy.

Thus, I decided on Martha's Braided Leather-Lace Belt craft. It looked so fabulous! Especially with the 300 dollar shirt with which it was paired.

My fabulous mom bought multiple yards or braided gold leather for this purpose. After much difficulty, I cut three semi-identical pieces. I folded the three strands, together, in half and knotted a bit below the folded end. From there it was simple as braiding with two strands acting as one for each piece.

 And I have to say, not bad for a few minutes work! A perfect on-the-fly craft for night...



Instructions

Tools and Materials
  • Round leather cord, 3 mm, 10 m spool
How to Make the Leather-Lace Belt


Edit: Pictures and instructions added.
Holding the 3 leather pieces together, bend them in half; tie a knot about 2 inches from the bend, making a loop with 6 strands. Put the center loop over a coat hook (or a big toe), divide the strands into 3 sections of 2 each, and braid. Near the end, knot to secure. Then knot the individual strands.

No comments:

Post a Comment