Thursday, March 3, 2011

This one is for you, Sharkey

 I love love love dogs. I mean, what is better than being greeted at the door by an animal that acts as though they thought they were never going to see you again and that having you walk through the door is the best possible thing that could ever have happened.

It follows that I am obsessed with Martha's dogs, Francesca and Sharkey, her two frenchies, in particular. Naturally they have a blog, which is much more popular than mine. I would expect nothing less. This has given me endless hours of enjoyment.

In honor of two of the most fabulous dogs on this planet (though not nearly as awesome as Luna, my family Gold Retriever who I miss more than anything), I decided to make a dog-themed craft today.

After my Mom made a brief trip to the fashion district as part of her New York adventure, she came back with some adorable paw print themed ribbon. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to make a Ribbon Bookmark, per Martha's suggestion.

Sharkey? Is that you?
The craft was super simple, but effective. I cut a thicker, black ribbon down to a size that would fit into a large book. I cut slits in the ribbon every inch or so. I then threaded the accent ribbon through the slits, weaving in and out.

The result: a perfect bookmark for everyday use and an homage to my favorite pets.

Tools and Materials
 2 1/4-inch-wide ribbon (16 inches long)
1 1/2-inch-wide ribbon (14 inches long)
Pencil
Ruler
Utility knife
A needle and thread


Bookmark How-To

Cut ribbons to a length a bit longer than the book they're intended for. On the wrong side of the wider ribbon, use a ruler and pencil to make evenly spaced horizontal lines 1 1/2 inches long.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Ribbon Bookmarks - Martha Stewart Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment