Sunday, March 13, 2011

Homemade hummus

On my endless quest to find healthy snacks, I knew it would soon be time to learn to make my own hummus. While it is relatively simple to find hummus in the local grocery store, I am never completely satisfied with the taste. That, the the mounting cost of buying premade items inspired my desire to embrace a DYI attitude when it comes to hummus.

As it turns out, making hummus is actually a no-brainer. I chose one of the many recipes for hummus on Martha's website, deciding to start with the basics: plain old Hummus Dip. In my brand new food processor, which has become a daily lifesaver, I combined a can of chickpeas, tahini, a clove of garlic, cumin, nutmeg and some water. For some extra flavor, I decided to add in some chives. This was particularly convenient because I have been looking for something to use them in.

After blending, I seasoned with a dash of salt. I served with whole wheat pita and baby carrots, a huge hit with the roommates and some friends that happened to be over.

The fact that I woke up this morning and all the hummus was gone speaks for its deliciousness. Someone in my apartment was late night eating last night....


Recipe (from Martha Stewart, http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/hummus-dip):

Ingredients
 Makes 1 3/4 cups
  • 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 small garlic clove, roughly chopped
  • Pinch of ground cumin
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
  • 1 tablespoon water, plus more as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Directions
  1. Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy, adding more water as needed to reach the desired consistency. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Hummus Dip - Martha Stewart Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment