Thursday, March 17, 2011

Singing the pain away

I bit the bullet and got an upper endoscopy today. After days and days of heartburn-like symptoms, the good ole doc recommended that I get scoped just to make sure everything is okay in my esophogus.

As my awesome luck will have it, I have two ulcers somewhere way deep down my throat. Which, of course, would explain everything. Thankfully, all I need to do is wait for these to heal and I'll be good as new again. Less thankfully, I am in a ridiculous amount of pain right now - I assume a combination of post-endoscopy and post-biopsy soreness and general ulcer-related misery.

In times of turmoil, like right able now, Martha told me to turn to song. Maybe it's the remnants of the sedation talking, but I really think this is her BEST IDEA EVER.

Martha and her fantastic experts expound the benefits of singing on my new favorite section of her website, Whole Living.

For one, singing allows more oxygen to enter into your body, increasing circulation and alertness. Singing, according to Martha and a Swedish study, also releases feel-good hormones, oxytocin in particular. Oxytocin is pretty much exactly what I need right now: it stimulates feelings of bonding, love and empathy.

Singing has been shown to boost immunity, increasing production of immunoglobulin A. Immunoglobulin A does some pretty important things, like boosting necessary inflammation during inflection. Finally, singing also improves lung function, which is something all of us could use a little of.

All in all, I think we would all be a bit healthier and happier if we took to song every now and then. I am not saying I am going to karaoke right now, as I am currently in the fetal position, but have to admit, I may or may not be humming along to every Glee song ever as I lie here.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: 4 Reasons to Sing for Your Health Singing

No comments:

Post a Comment