Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunflower seeds on a cloudy day

Happy first day of spring! If only it hadn't snowed this morning...

In honor of the big day, I decided to give my immune system a boost. Having been sick off and on all winter, I figured I should probably start off the spring with holistic way to boost immunity and stave away any oncoming colds that are no doubt coming my way.

Martha recommends sunflower seeds to do just that. According to her Whole Living material, a mere two table spoons of sunflower seeds provide more than a third of one day's requirement of vitamin E. Vitamin E is key to boosting immunity by producing T-cells, which, for you novices out there, is a type of white blood cell that helps fight infection.

To get my "dose" of sunflower seeds, I decided to pull together a simple quinoa salad, my go-to quick dinner. I cooked the quinoa on the stove until it was soft, and added in some garlic, red onion and scallions. I sauteed these ingredients on the stove with a dash of olive oil. After a few minutes, I topped it all off with some sunflower and pumpkin seeds (which also provide a boost of magnesium and copper, cholesterol-lowering phytosterols, and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids).

The salad was crunchy and tasty, plus filling enough to make a nice light dinner at the end of an unbelievably long day.

Read more at Wholeliving.com: Winter Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment