Friday, March 4, 2011

It's that time of year again!

Mardi Gras time! One day I'll make it to Mardi Gras. This is a goal of mine, and one of the few that is relatively easily attainable. Until then, I plan to bring Mardi Gras to frigid New York.

Step one: make some awesome, glittery, Mardi Gras jewelry in preparation. Example: Martha's Bold Bauble Necklace, which is both cute and a bit over the top: the perfect combination for such a flashy holiday.

The actual craft was pretty simple as well. I bought syrofoam balls in two different sizes, which turned out to be less heavy than the wooden balls the craft suggested. I also bought three different colors of stringed sequins, decided on gold, silver and purple.

I wrapped the sequin chain around each styrofoam ball bit by bit, gluing along the way with tacky glue, an essential crafters adhesive. I poked holes in each styrofoam ball with a wooden skewer. Finally, I strung the glittery balls onto a purple ribbon. I used smaller beads in between to add to the effect.

I love this necklace! It definitely makes a statement and isn't for everyday, but it looks much more expensive than it is and is fabulous and sparkly. I may not have Mardi Gras, but New York isn't too bad itself.

 Tools and Materials
  • Wooden beads or foam balls
  • Strung sequins
  • Tacky white glue
Sequin-Wrapped Beads and Foam Balls How-To
1. Pull 1 or 2 sequins off the thread to create a lead end. Starting at the top of bead (or foam ball), secure lead end with a dab of glue.
2. Apply glue one section at a time, and adhere sequin strand, spiraling it tightly and applying pressure as you work. Leave bead holes open if you'll be stringing them; otherwise, cover with sequins.


No comments:

Post a Comment