Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tofu fries?

I miss french fries, I miss french fries... I really really miss french fries. Today, I attempted to make a substitute that I could actually eat without guilt.

Martha's Baked Tofu Sticks looked too good to pass up. And, since I will eat almost anything when it is dipped in mayonnaise and ketchup, I decided to give it a try.

It was definitely a simple recipe. I drained the firm lite tofu in the fridge by wrapping it in a kitchen towel and placing cans on top of it. I let it sit there for an hour as the water seeped out.

Then, I cut the tofu into fry-like strips. I marinated them in olive oil, topped with salt and thyme, and placed in the oven on 375 for around 20 minutes.

The baked tofu was not bad... but just not fry-like enough for my liking. Although edible, I definitely need to find a better alternative to the unhealthy fry. It just wasn't very flavorful.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained... next time hopefully I'll have better results.

Recipe (from http://www.marthastewart.com/261841/baked-tofu-sticks):

Ingredients
  • 1/2 package (7 ounces) firm tofu
  • Olive oil, or vegetable oil, for baking sheet
  • Salt (optional)
  • Tomato sauce, for dipping 
 Directions
  1. Cut tofu into 3-by-1/2-inch sticks. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with a double layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Top tofu with another double layer of paper towels or kitchen towel. Place another baking sheet or a baking dish on top, and press down firmly. Weigh down with heavy cans; let stand until tofu has released excess liquid, at least 20 minutes or up to1 hour. Pressed tofu sticks can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly brush a baking sheet with oil; set aside. Pat tofu dry. Lightly season tofu, if desired. Arrange tofu sticks in a single layer on prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 1/2 inch apart. Bake tofu, turning halfway through, until both sides are crisp and light golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature with tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment