Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tuna, steak-style

I have had a tuna steak in my freezer for months, and it's taken me that long to decide what to do with it. For some reason, I always put tuna at the top of the fish pedestal, and I really didn't want to "waste" it with a boring old recipe.

Today, I decided that the time had come and, come Hell or high water, I was going to cook up the tuna steak and eat it.

I decided to go the simple route; after all, for me the tuna is delicious in and of itself. Martha had an incredible-looking recipe for Grilled Tuna Steaks with Japanese-Style Marinade, which seemed like a great introduction to cooking tuna. 

And it was super simple! I mixed together the rice vinegar, canola oil, soy sauce, ginger and sugar that the Japanese sauce called for. As I don't have a grill, I sauteed the tuna on the stove - which took all of five minutes.

The tuna was delicious, if a bit over-cooked, and the sauce complemented the fish very well. Nothing like a quick and dirty tuna recipe that is filling, healthy and tasty to boot.

Recipe

Ingredients
 Serves 4
  • 4 tuna steaks, 3/4 inch thick and about 6 ounces each
  • Japanese Marinade
  • Salt and pepper
Directions
  1. Heat grill to high; oil grates. Place 4 tuna steaks (each 3/4 inch thick and about 6 ounces) in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag. Add Japanese Marinade; turn to coat. Cover; marinate 15 to 30 minutes in refrigerator, turning fish occasionally.
  2. Just before grilling, remove from refrigerator; remove tuna from marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Grill fish until charred on the outside but still pink inside, 2 to 5 minutes per side.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Grilled Tuna Steaks with Japanese Marinade - Martha Stewart Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment