Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cards for spring

Despite the fact that it still barely in the 50s, it is technically spring right now. I get that April showers bring May flowers, but what does a cold, dry April bring? Let's hope that May will not be flowerless, because that would just suck.

In honor of the spring bloom, today I made a fun floral card. I thought that Martha's Tissue-Paper Flower Card was just perfect to celebrate the onset of this season... and a hopeful way to prepare for the eventual May bloom.

I cut out circular pieces of tissue paper, which I never seem to run out of. I scrunched them up in the center, making a bit of a folded shape that resembled Martha's own version. Then, I used tacky glue to affix the flowers onto a plane white card I bought at Joann's. I drew in stems using a bright green pen I had lying around.

It doesn't look quite as professional as Martha's, but I think the card has a nice, homemade feel that makes the card more personal. Now I just need to figure out what/who I am going to use it for...

Instructions (courtesy of Martha "April showers can suck it" Stewart): 

Tools and Materials

Tissue paper confetti circles (You can make your own from tissue, magazine, or other lightweight paper.)
Tweezers
Craft glue
Ready-made card, or card stock folded in half
Acrylic or watercolor paints, optional

Mother's Day Card How-To

1. Use a pair of tweezers to pick up a tissue paper circle, scrunching it with the tweezers into a puckered flower shape.
2. Dip it into the glue and place the scrunched paper, glue side down, onto the card. Once glued, use tweezer points to increase the pucker of the paper if desired.
3. Use the same method to add a smaller paper circle in a contrasting color to the center of the first circle and smush with tweezers. Add as many as three layers.
4. Paint on a stem, if desired (or use a brush-tip marker).

No comments:

Post a Comment