Saturday, April 16, 2011

Paper flower power

The minute I saw Martha's Shaped Crepe Flowers, I knew I had to make them. There is something delicate and almost elegant about these - and for a starving post-college student with an online designer clothing shopping addition they make a nice, virtually free decoration that doesn't look tacky.

I bought a roll of 24-gauge wire, which is super thick and stable. I covered this from top to bottom with flower tape. Incidentally, this stuff is AWESOME. It is super sticky and just clings to itself so you can roll it around wire and it stays put. Aside from the fact that my fingers are a bit raw from rolling so much of it, the flower tape worked like a charm.

Once all the wires were prepped, it was time to create the flowers. I cut out 4" x 2.25" rectangles of tissue paper in orange and purple... after all, it is Laker season!! I centered a .5-inch wooden ball in the middle of each of the tissue paper rectangles. I then rolled each of the sides up, wrapping the tissue paper around half the ball in a rounded shape. I tapped five petals to each wire at the top, using floral tape. I then cut the long ends of the petals off, keeping the rounded shape, but getting rid of the excess.

I think these are really pretty! They are now sitting next to my TV in style.

Instructions (courtesy of Martha Stewart): 


Flowers crafted from colorful tissue or crepe paper are graceful, inexpensive to make, and always in season. Arrange them on tables, use as boutonnieres, or create a whole bouquet.
 
How to Make It
 Tissue Bubble Flower: Attach 12 (or 6 pairs) artificial stamens to 24-gauge cloth-covered floral wire by wrapping with green floral tape. Cut five 4-by-2 1/4-inch pieces of tissue paper. For each petal, wrap tissue halfway around 1 1/2-inch Styrofoam ball; twist ends, and remove ball. Attach one end of petal to the base of stamen with floral tape. Add the other petals one at a time, taping in place. Trim pointy ends. Gently pull petals away from the center.

Read more at Marthastewartweddings.com: Shaped Crepe Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment