Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tassels on my ears

I have talked a lot on this blog about my desire to add some sparkle to every outfit. As my mom immediately noticed when she first set first in New York a few weeks ago, everyone here lives, breathes and dies black from head to toe. Black boots, black pants, black sweater... it all gets a little gloom and doomy, especially when warmth seems as far away as ever.

Since I arrived seven months ago (how time flies!), I have learned to spice things up with just a dash of shine or shimmer or a pop of color. If I'm being honest this often becomes a bit more than a dash or a pop, and more like my entire outfit, but some people just love the spotlight.

Well... to the craft. Martha's Tassel Earring was just the anecdote to the goth look that I needed. And it took all of three minutes.



I bought some generic gold tassels and simple earring bases from my favorite craft store, Joann's. The best part about this place is that they have sales constantly. Seriously, if you shop there never by anything not on sale because if you wait a few days it will be 40% off and you'll just feel silly. It's totally worth the minimal shipping cost if you shop in bulk, which is what I do.

All I did was hook the loop of the tassel over the open loop of the earring. I think that three minutes might even be an exaggeration. It took more like 30 seconds; the hardest part was opening the ridiculously stubborn plastic earring packaging that would just not come apart.

I think these are funky, if a little out there, and perfect for a dull outfit like the ones I wear almost every day. Although I do want to look like a New Yorker, sometimes it's nice to have my inner funky shine through.

 
Instructions

Tassel Earrings How-To
 Choose the size and color of your tassels, available at M & J Trimming (800-965-8746). Use needle-nose pliers to open the wire loops on the earring backs (we got ours at jansjewells.com) and insert the top loops of the tassels inside. Pinch the wire closed around the tassels.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: Tassel Earrings - Martha Stewart Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment