Saturday, April 2, 2011

Lavender and thyme and olive oil?

Tonight just felt like a soap-making night. After spending all day in bed studying, I was feel lazy. Soap-making was the perfect, quick solution for today's craft.

I really enjoyed making the pantry soaps a few weeks ago and thought their texture and smell was really nice. I decided to do something similar today and make Martha's Thyme Soap. I had some fresh thyme that was about to go bad, so I thought it would be a great idea to make good use of it. Plus, the little leaves in thyme contain oil long believed to be soothing to skin and muscles.

Instead of glycerin soap, I decided to use use an olive oil soap base. Olive oil soap is extremely moisturizing and it leaves skin feeling silkier, without being greasy. Of course, it's a bit more expensive, but I was ready for a bit of a splerge tonight.

I melted down the olive oil base in the microwave, which took all of one minute. Once it was all melted, I added in plenty of thyme in there. For molds, I used plastic cups that I had lying around. I poured the mix into the cups and let them harden.

In addition to the thyme soap, I decided to make some lavender soap as well. I had plenty of lavender left from my sachets craft and it is just so aromatic I figured it would make a great soap. I am not sure how usable this is, but it definitely smells great and looks really pretty.

Soap craft was a success, yet again. These will look really pretty in the bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment