Sunday, April 3, 2011

Finger sparkles

As you may have noticed, I love sparkles. There's just something nice about a touch of wearable glimmer to make an outfit a little bit more special.

I particularly love rings. For awhile now, I have been making rings out of a variety of found objects, buttons and the like. Today, I decided to try something new.

I really enjoyed Martha's bold bauble project, which I created in honor of Mardi Gras back in early March. The necklace was super fun, and really simple to make. Today, I decided to adapt this same technique and make some bold bauble rings to add some sparkles to my fingers as well.

The technique was simple enough. I had some leftover wooden beads that I had used from the wooden bead dye project. I figured these would be a perfect size for a chunky statement ring.

I rolled a strand of sequins (I did one in gold and one in silver) around the wooden bead, gluing along the way with tacky glue, my favorite. Of course, the tacky glue got everywhere: my hands, my pajamas, all over the sequins... but that's just the danger of crafting.

Once the wooden beads were completely covered, I used hot glue to glue the baubles on top of two ring blanks, one in gold and one in silver.

The resulting rings are fun, funky and definitely make a statement. I think I'll wear these when I'm feeling kind of dangerous...


Tools and Materials
  • Wooden beads or foam balls
  • Strung sequins
  • Tacky white glue
Sequin-Wrapped Beads and Foam Balls How-To

1. Pull 1 or 2 sequins off the thread to create a lead end. Starting at the top of bead (or foam ball), secure lead end with a dab of glue.
2. Apply glue one section at a time, and adhere sequin strand, spiraling it tightly and applying pressure as you work. Leave bead holes open if you'll be stringing them; otherwise, cover with sequins.

No comments:

Post a Comment