Friday, April 22, 2011

Waste not, want not

I believe I have mentioned my obsession with dressing before. I am constantly on the look out for new dressing ideas, especially some low maintenance options that I can throw together and then use for a few days in the next week.

Today, I found a fantastic salad dressing idea that was both brilliant and resourceful: Martha's fabulous No Waste Dressing.

I had an almost-empty glass bottle of dijon mustard lying around, a product of my obsession with kosher salami sandwiches. The dressing recipe was as simple as chopping up a glove of garlic and placing this, along with balsamic and olive oil into the bottle with the remnants of the mustard.

The resulting dressing was surprisingly tasty. I plan on throwing together some quinoa in the next few days, and this will make a great topping for these salads. I'll post again with the results!

Recipe (from Martha Stewart):

Have a tiny bit of mustard left in the jar? Toss in a few ingredients, and shake a tangy Dijon vinaigrette right in the container. A crushed garlic clove, some chopped fresh herbs and minced shallot will add the right flavor. Pour in balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, then close the lid and shake. Add olive oil; shake again to emulsify the dressing, and then drizzle over your favorite salad. With a tightly sealed lid, it will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Read more at Marthastewart.com: No-Waste Dressing - Martha Stewart Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment