Monday, April 4, 2011

Eggplant parm, with a catch...

... it's healthy!

Eggplant parmesan has always been one of my splurge foods. The combination of cheese, tomato sauce and breading is absolutely perfect. What's not to love?

Sadly, the breading part of the whole eggplant parmesan situation is really not that good for you... at all. And I have been *trying* to eat better, even if I'm not always successful. Thankfully, Martha had a solution to my eggplant parmesan cravings: a Lighter Eggplant Parmesan. Of course, tons of cheese isn't going to be SUPER healthy, but I think I get some bonus points for at least trying. Right?

Martha's recipe was simple. I baked slices of eggplant (I got a mini-eggplant at my local market: adorable, and the perfect size for just me!) in the oven at 450 with olive oil, for around 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I mixed together the sauce: non-fat Greek yogurt (substituted for skim milk because I didn't have any milk in the fridge), whole wheat flour (substituted for white flour), marinara sauce and garlic. I cooked this on the stove for a few minutes so it would thicken.

Finally, I stacked eggplant and sauce, starting with marinara, and then alternating eggplant and the pink sauce. I topped with plenty of mozzarella and parmesan. After 10 or so minutes in the oven, I was done!

While it certainly wasn't the breaded, fatty eggplant I was used to, this recipe made an excellent substitute that was still delicious!

Recipe (from http://www.marthastewart.com/263749/lighter-eggplant-parmesan):


Ingredients
  • 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
  • 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
  2. Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
  3. Spread cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment