Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Congestion, needs a cure

Ok. So I have been really lame this week with posts. This in part due to the fact that I am just beginning to work on my medical school applications, and partially due to the fact that I am currently so congested I feel like I'm high.

Again, I am hoping that Martha has the cure. Today, I tried a nice steamy shower.  More specifically, I tried the second method (described below), wherein you make a tent with a boiling pot of water and a towel covering your face. Although this didn't help with my sneezing (100+ times today so far), it did clear me up significantly. I am getting so desperate I am also considering investing in some eucalyptus, camphor or menthol, which Martha suggests amplify the effect of the steamy shower. I tried the second method (described below), wherein you make a tent with a boiling pot of water and a towel covering your face.

I promise to pick things up again soon... provided my med school stuff gets sorted out and my sneezing ceases.  If worse comes to worse, I can always stop by Beth Israel Hospital and visit the expert who Martha quotes in her article, below.


From marthastewart.com: 

Q: Can steam really ease congestion?

A: Yes, it's one of the best things for it, especially when used with essential oils like eucalyptus, menthol, or camphor. Steam keeps sinus membranes moist and helps phlegm soften and drain. When an infection takes hold, mucus production increases and becomes difficult to move out.
Unlike some drying medications, steam works with the body to help it heal. What's more, moist air can reach deep into the sinus cavity to loosen blockages; the oils add expectorant, decongestant, and germicidal properties.

The easiest way to use steam involves a towel tent. Pour boiling water into a bowl, let it cool for one minute, then add two drops of the oil. Place a towel over your head, close your eyes, and lean over the bowl to inhale the vapors. (Keep your face at least six inches away from the water.)
Repeat twice a day when congested, or even as a preventive measure. If congestion lasts for more than 10 days, see your doctor. And ask about these and any complementary or alternative medicine treatments before you try them.
Dr. Merrell is chairman of the Department of Integrative Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City and coauthor of "Power Up: Unleash Your Natural Energy, Power Up Your Health, and Feel 10 Years Younger."

No comments:

Post a Comment