Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mind your peas and penne

It's no secret that I love pasta. Not only is it simple, but it's also filling, delicious and, thanks to the invention of whole wheat pasta, at least partially in keeping with the whole pre-diabetes diet.

In an attempt to get my veggies, I always try to load the pasta with lots of different-colored vegetables. Today was no exception.

I found a recipe on Martha's site that looked completely perfect - loaded with vegetables, fast, efficient and delicious. So, today I made Martha's Gemilli with Squash, Peas and Basil. I know it's not necessarily squash season as we are now firmly in spring, but I don't really care because squash is filling and tasty.

I couldn't find whole wheat gemilli, so I substituted whole wheat pasta. I cooked this per usual and after it was almost done, I three two yellow squashes and half a bag of frozen peas into the pot. After two minutes, I drained the water, keeping a 1/2 cup behind for the sauce.

Once I let the water drain, I poured the pasta mix back into the pot. I added in butter, 1/4 cup pasta water, lemon juice and parmesan cheese (which I might have gone a little bit overboard on, but I love cheese). After a quick stir, I was done!

The pasta was perfect in every way... at least an 8/10. I wouldn't change a thing. Except there wasn't enough cheese, so I added in some mozzarella too; and then it really was perfect.

Recipe (courtesy of Martha "pasta for every meal"  Stewart):

Ingredients
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 8 ounces gemelli or other short pasta
  • 3 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves

    Directions
  1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 2 minutes less than al dente. Add squash and peas; cook until squash is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta mixture, and return to pot.
  2. To mixture in pot, add butter, lemon juice, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 cup pasta water. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. If needed, add enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Stir in basil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan; serve immediately.
http://www.marthastewart.com/263079/gemelli-with-yellow-squash-peas-and-basi?czone=food/dinner-tonight-center/dinner-tonight-main-courses

No comments:

Post a Comment