Sunday, April 24, 2011

You say potato, I say sweet potato

It's been awhile since I've had sweet potatoes, or any potatoes for that matter. As I have tried to cut down on my starches, potatoes were some of the first things to go.

But, every once in awhile it's just time to splurge. I just couldn't resist Martha's Loaded Sweet Potato Skins, so I decided to make them for a main course tonight.

It was a super simple recipe. I cooked the potatoes in the oven at 425 for around 40 minutes, until the potatoes were soft. I made some buttermilk by mixing 1/4 cup of low fat milk with 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Once the potatoes were done, I scooped out 1/3 cup from each of them. I mixed this potato with the buttermilk while mashing.

I then placed the mashed potato mix back into the potato skins and baked these for 15 minutes. When these were done, I topped with a scallion and plenty of sour cream. Naturally, I skipped the bacon.

These totally hit the spot, and made a fantastic dinner.

Recipe (courtesy of Martha Stewart):

Ingredients
  • 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds total), scrubbed and patted dry
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika, plus more for garnish
  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 scallion, sliced, for garnish
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, rub sweet potatoes with oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on sheet (keep oven on).
  2. Halve sweet potatoes lengthwise; scoop out 1/3 cup flesh from each half into a medium bowl. Add buttermilk and paprika to bowl. Mash until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Stuff sweet-potato skins with filling. (To store, refrigerate, up to 2 days.)
  3. Arrange sweet-potato skins on sheet; bake until lightly browned around edges, about 15 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate; crumble. Stir together sour cream and 2 tablespoons water; drizzle over sweet-potato skins. Garnish with bacon, paprika, and scallion; cut in half to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment